Dry Water-coloring

I absolutely LOVE this technique. Not sure if it has a name
or not but I'm calling it 'dry water-coloring'. Typically 
water-coloring is done with water but not this one.
This is done with a paint brush, markers and rubbing alcohol.
And it is SO EASY!!!!



I came across a very talented lady by the name of Carissa Wiley
the other day. The name of her blog is Sprinkled with Glitter and 
all I can say is WOW! She has a fantastic video tutorial on this
exact technique. And you'll see that my card was inspired by hers.

The challenge at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge right
now is anything goes. I thought it would be the perfect time
to try a new technique. I'll be doing this one a lot!

One thing to note is that the rubbing alcohol should be of a 
higher alcohol content. I found 99% content at my local drug store.
The reason for this is the higher content helps to prevent warping of
the vellum. Use a vellum that has some weight to it - this will
also help to prevent warping.

Here are the steps for 'dry water-coloring':

-pour some of the rubbing alcohol into a little spray bottle

- secure your vellum with some painters tape onto a hard surface
(I used a clipboard - it also secures one of the ends of he vellum)

- choose some markers. I used my blendabilities but the tutorial
I watched, copics were used.
- scribble in sections being sure to cover the whole piece

 - give the vellum a few spritz with rubbing alcohol

- spread the color around with a paint brush, if it's starts to
dry before you're done, just give it another spritz

That's it! It's that easy!!
I ran this through my big shot with the stitched rectangle stackables
to make two pieces.

Now to make a couple of cards with them.

Be sure to head over to the Simon Says Challenge Blog to see
all the wonderful cards.



supplies:
all from Stampin' Up! unless noted
card stock: whisper white, basic black, vellum
stamp set: The Open Sea
ink: smoky slate
blendabilites: night of navy, bermuda bay, coastal cabana
Tim Holtz distress ink: stormy sky
big shot: celebrations die (Penny Black)
stencil: dots decorative stencil
washi tape and sequins from the dollar store


Happy Stampin'
and thanks so much for visiting!

Comments

Mandy said…
Gorgeous card Susan! The backgound you've created looks fabulous.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp wednesday Challenge
Mandy xx
Greta said…
Will have to give it a try--thanks for the info!