Saturday, August 1, 2015

Dry Water-coloring

I absolutely LOVE this technique. Not sure if it has a name
or not but I'm calling it 'dry water-coloring'. Typically 
water-coloring is done with water but not this one.
This is done with a paint brush, markers and rubbing alcohol.
And it is SO EASY!!!!



I came across a very talented lady by the name of Carissa Wiley
the other day. The name of her blog is Sprinkled with Glitter and 
all I can say is WOW! She has a fantastic video tutorial on this
exact technique. And you'll see that my card was inspired by hers.

The challenge at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge right
now is anything goes. I thought it would be the perfect time
to try a new technique. I'll be doing this one a lot!

One thing to note is that the rubbing alcohol should be of a 
higher alcohol content. I found 99% content at my local drug store.
The reason for this is the higher content helps to prevent warping of
the vellum. Use a vellum that has some weight to it - this will
also help to prevent warping.

Here are the steps for 'dry water-coloring':

-pour some of the rubbing alcohol into a little spray bottle

- secure your vellum with some painters tape onto a hard surface
(I used a clipboard - it also secures one of the ends of he vellum)

- choose some markers. I used my blendabilities but the tutorial
I watched, copics were used.
- scribble in sections being sure to cover the whole piece

 - give the vellum a few spritz with rubbing alcohol

- spread the color around with a paint brush, if it's starts to
dry before you're done, just give it another spritz

That's it! It's that easy!!
I ran this through my big shot with the stitched rectangle stackables
to make two pieces.

Now to make a couple of cards with them.

Be sure to head over to the Simon Says Challenge Blog to see
all the wonderful cards.



supplies:
all from Stampin' Up! unless noted
card stock: whisper white, basic black, vellum
stamp set: The Open Sea
ink: smoky slate
blendabilites: night of navy, bermuda bay, coastal cabana
Tim Holtz distress ink: stormy sky
big shot: celebrations die (Penny Black)
stencil: dots decorative stencil
washi tape and sequins from the dollar store


Happy Stampin'
and thanks so much for visiting!

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card Susan! The backgound you've created looks fabulous.
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp wednesday Challenge
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will have to give it a try--thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete